Monday, May 10, 2010

Framed Silhouettes

For Mother's day I was planning on making some lip balm, but I got my order in too late and didn't get everything I needed so I decided on framed silhouettes instead. I will by using lip balm as lots of last minute gifts (birthdays (for little girls and women!), VT, Valentines etc etc)These silhouettes are something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I have been looking and looking for second hand oval frames for some time and just on Saturday I found  a nice big one so I can start working on one of these for my house. I based these smaller versions on this one. I put it behind the glass instead of on top because I didn't get time to go to the craft store to get the sticky dot things. My MIL loved hers so I will pronounce it a success. I gave her the green one since she has a lot of that green in her house. I did the other one based soley on what I really really loved and would love to have somewhere in my house, so if I can indeed give it up, I hope the owner (keeping it a secret for now) will love it just as much as I do.




Sorry,there is a little reflection on the glass!

You can probably find tutorials out there for a fairly easy way to do these silhouettes. I have a feeling I did mine the long way (although I still was able to do it in one relatively short sitting). I did mine in Adobe Photoshop (I think it is CS2 or somethine like that) and since I am not terribly well versed in it, the tutorials I found in my short looking weren't in depth enough for me so I basically used a black and white paintbrush to paint over pictures that I had taken of my children's profiles. Once I had done that and cropped it nice and close to the face, I copied them into a word document and sized them down to fit in this frame. I am going to have to figure out how to do this on a much larger scale since I want all three in a large frame (bigger than printer or scrapbook paper). Anyways! Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

XO
Maren

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. Another way to do those is to take an actual picture, glue it to black card stock, and cut the picture out on their silhouette. Flip it over to the black side and viola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That is very helpful! I might have to do something like that for my big frame.

    ReplyDelete