I just finished binding Dean's quilt tonight and what a relief! Now I can finally do something else! (I have a one big project at a time rule so I'll actually finish projects!)
So for the details. I used this tutorial from Heather Bailey Design and actually found it more helpful than the Crazy Mom Quilts one I originally linked with the quilt challenge. I did 2 1/2 in. strips of the width of the fabric and I needed almost exactly 1/2 a yard of fabric. I sewed it with the machine to the front and hand stitched the back. My binding skills have vastly improved from my first quilts I made you girls for your babies. Sorry about that. =)
I originally chose a blue for the binding, but when I brought it home, Matt suggested a dark green might look better. I'm so glad I went with his advice. He has a better eye for design and color than I do, so I went and bought this dark green fabric. I love how it looks.
I do have the material to make Walt a similar quilt with brown cars backing, but it will be awhile before I can psych myself up for it I think.