Monday, May 3, 2010

Crochet Beanies

This is the crochet beanie I made for our YM/YW auction. It fit on Bella's head as well as mine. I love beanies that I can share with my little girl. I also like the colors of this one. I don't know why, but I really love the color grey. I think it turned out nicely.



In trying to come up with ideas for a beanie I found some really cute free patterns. I stumbled across this wonderful blog with tons of cute hat patterns. I started with the Jayde hat. But before that - I went to the yarn store where the lady there suggested I use a sport weight nylon yarn which is thinner than the worsted weight. I took her advice (I think she is a knitter herself) and wish I hadn't. Most crochet patterns still call for the worsted weight. So against my better judgment I tried the pattern with the sport wieght yarn and a smaller hook and ended up with a hat that fit my 6 month old. I knew it would be smaller, just didn't know how much. So Lou now has a new hat. It's pretty cute, but it almost looks like I messed up a bit. It is stretching a little above the mini brim. It's fun though - a little slouchy with a little brim. I wanted to add a fabric flower but haven't made up my mind yet.


Anyways, after that I went with my standby and made the hat at the top, but used a different flower pattern than I have done in the past. After the auction as I was cleaning up and organizing my yarn I decided to whip up this other cute pattern that I wanted to try. Here it is. I added another row of increases so I could wear it as well as Bella. It fits us both, but I think it looks better on her. I used two more of my favorite vintage buttons.



May the force be with you!

Here it is on me
(I would probably add still another row to make it fit an adult better)


Other patterns I want to try are Valeries Butterfly Hat and her army style hat. It is safe to say that I have been hit with the crochet bug again. I just signed up on Ravelry's free website and there are lots of cool projects on there. I ordered some yarn for an afghan for Bella and I can't wait to get started on that.

XO
Maren


No comments:

Post a Comment